Cobblestone Courtyard History

August 13, 2014

S. Forry Laucks, owner of the York Safe & Lock Company, established LAUXMONT FARMS in 1918 as his country estate. Over time, Laucks pieced together his estate with existing farm lands, which included the Cobblestone Courtyard and bank barn. Eventually he acquired more than 2,000 acres.

The two-story bank barn at the Cobblestone Courtyard was built in the early- to mid-1800s. After Laucks purchased the farmland, he used the bottom floor of the bank barn to exhibit his show cows and build a milking operation. After the milk was collected, it was taken to the processing room across the courtyard.

In 1973, the Kohr family purchased LAUXMONT FARMS and began using the bank barn to store its thoroughbred race horses. Since the 1800s, the top floor of the barn has been used to store and dry hay. The 1,400-acre horse farm at Lauxmont continues to use the top floor to store and dry hay for its horses. 

The Cobblestone Courtyard was designed by Charles Downing Lay in the 1920s. The New York-based landscape architect is famous for designing Battery Park, Bryant Park and Madison Square Park in New York City as well as the National Academy of Sciences in Washington D.C.

The Cobblestone Courtyard is made of Belgian granite, similar to the materials used in the historic cobblestone roads in New York, Philadelphia and Boston. The courtyard area was renovated in 1931, when the dove covey, trellis and surrounding walls were built using local Pennsylvania field stone.

The dove covey and stone trellis were designed by Delano & Aldririch Architects. The New York architectural firm is famous for designing the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Japanese Embassy in Washington, D.C. and the American Embassy in Parris.

The identity of the Cobblestone Courtyard and bank barn changed in the 2000s, when they were renovated by Ron Kohr, Jr. Bathrooms were added to the bottom of the bank barn, which began hosting weddings and other events in 2001. The building across from the barn now serves as the bridal and caterers rooms. Since they were renovated, the Cobblestone Courtyard and bank barn have hosted hundreds of events.

Over the years, people from around the county have rented the courtyard for their weddings, graduation parties, family reunions, engagement parties, birthday celebrations and many other occasions.

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

© 2019 Lauxmont Farms. All rights reserved.
(717) 779-5052 | office@lauxmontweddings.com 

1215 Long Level Road 
Wrightsville, PA 17368